First of all, it is important to define clearly what augmented reality represents. A broad concept, augmented reality represents the real-time superposition of a virtual model to the perception that a person will have of his environment. This assembly is made possible through a third device: glasses, computer, smartphone or tablet. The use of these technologies makes it possible to add virtual information and thus "increase" our perception of reality.
Augmented Reality is an innovative technology which still has more than 30 years of existence. This technology allows superimposing animations to reality. Combined with the Internet of Things (IoT), it helps to increase reality by using digital data that makes it concrete and visual. The augmented reality is accessed with mobile devices like smartphones and tablets, but it can also be used with a pair of glasses. The big advantage of augmented reality with glasses is that it allows us to immerse ourselves in the real world, enhanced by the display of digital data from devices while keeping your hands free.
The individual who wears the helmet in augmented reality can interact with the immersive reality in which he is immersed. Indeed, this revolutionary technology not only allows displaying digital data in the real world, it mainly allows users to act and be active in their environment.
This is one of the greatest strengths of the RA, which is gradually becoming a staple of the industrial world because it finds day after day new applications. If we take the case of the heating pipe, an employee, using simple pairs of glasses in augmented reality, is able to see the pressure in each pipe, the speed of the flow, he can also see the failures and leaks ... It is a technology that offers a very significant return on investment, more latency to understand where the failure comes from and how to fix it.
Real-time Applications of Augmented Reality
- Retail – Retail is emerging as a preferred area for Augmented Reality (AR) applications. According to Gartner, 100 million consumers will benefit from increased shopping experiences by 2020. A new wave of innovation is poised to start, ready to transform all retail sectors as customer expectations continue to grow. Zara's investment in artificial intelligence to solve its in-store storage problems and to better understand the data that can be used in future co-creation processes is already profitable. Similarly, Walmart's partnership with Chinese company Tencent, aimed at deploying innovative technology solutions across its entire supply chain, is showing great results.
As far as consumers are concerned, experience-based technologies, such as augmented reality, appeal to customers and brands at the same time. However, to date, augmented reality has found real use only in cosmetics stores like Estee Lauder, which has launched an innovative application of makeup training; via augmented reality, last year in December.
- Construction and Maintenance – In construction, augmented reality permits planners, development groups, engineers and customers to envision what a proposed structure would resemble in the space and existing conditions before any construction starts. Notwithstanding perception, it can help distinguish constructability issues on work that can enable modelers and developers to conceptualize arrangements before the issue turns out to be increasingly hard to determine after construction starts.
Augmented Reality also provides help to customers as they fix or complete support techniques on items. It is a valuable training tool that enables unpracticed support to team total errands and locates the right administration and parts data when they are nearby.
- Tourism – Travel brands can give potential guests a much progressively vivid experience from a goal before they travel on account of enlarged reality innovation. With AR arrangements, operators and goals can give guests more data and signs to their goals. AR applications can enable holidaymakers to explore through retreats and find out about purposes of interests at goals.
- Education – While there's still a lot to investigate with respect to how augmented reality can support education, the potential outcomes are huge. EdTech is relied upon to develop 17% every year to reach $252 billion by 2020, and it can support each age gathering and education level. Augmented reality could enable educators to draw in understudies in the study hall with dynamic 3D models, overlays of fun certainties and all the more in regards to the points they are finding out about. Visual students would profit by the representation capacities of AR that can breathe life into ideas by means of advanced renderings. Understudies can get to data anyplace and whenever with no unique gear just like the case with Mondly, a language-learning application.
- Healthcare – Augmented reality has facilitated learning in the medical field. It is for example possible to learn the characteristics of the human body with the application Anatomy 4D. Augmented reality can also in some cases improve the daily lives of patients with diseases affecting the senses. Eyeglasses allow for example to reflect what the visually impaired would have difficulty perceiving. AR can make computerized pictures and basic data accessible to specialists in 3D and inside their field of view. Specialists won't have to turn away from the careful field so as to get to essential data they may require to play out a fruitful methodology.
- Navigation Systems – Augmented Reality improves the security of route applications by joining a cell phone's GPS with AR that aide’s driver along a virtual way. It's accessible for all Android and iOS clients. Genuine AR, offered by Navion, is the principal holographic AR route framework for vehicles. The framework develops as the earth around the vehicle changes.
- Automotive – Manufacturers have implemented augmented reality systems directly in vehicles. The navigation of the drivers is facilitated thanks to information projected directly on the windshield. Real speed, the distance between vehicles, driving assistance, everything is designed to improve driving and provide increased safety.
In the foreseeable future, augmented reality features will be as natural as SMS and phone calls. The technology has the potential to have a major impact on our daily lives, whether shopping, traveling or the rest of everyday life. The potential applications for augmented reality are quite exciting. In order for them to establish them quickly, it is necessary that augmented reality is competently marketed as a practical function and not only as a fun gimmick for games in appearance.